Monday, October 4, 2010

Aster Nyx Available now


LinkAt long last, the project I started nearly two years ago is available as a pattern from the Sanguine Gryphon, one of my favorite dyers. I just love the fabulous fibers and gorgeous colors. they require me to be creative.


So, here is Aster Nyx, which was released along with the Sanguine Gryphon's Fall 2010 Steampunk line of patterns. The great black and white photos fit in with that idea very well, and they show off the details of the pattern very well.
The color photos show off the subtlety of the yarn. This large size, about 34" deep by 68 " wide, I knit in Gaia Lace, an incredibly soft and lovely cashmere silk blend. What a luxury. Two skeins is enough for the large size, and it is large. This colorway is Eye of the Devil.

NOTE: thanks to Troy, for the comment below. The little square in the chart does indeed represent a sk2p. I submitted the chart with a left leaning triangle for the symbol, and was unaware that it had been changed in the chart. The corresponding change was not made in the legend, but I have contacted Sanguine Gryphon to ask that the change be made in the pattern. I do apologise for any inconvenience.






A lovely friend on Ravelry swapped with me for the first version of this shawl, then called Starry Night. She also took photos of her knitting friends modeling it. This is the smaller size, which is about 30" deep by 60" wide, but which can really stretch widthwise when worn, which I love, because I tend to wear these things as scarves more often than not. I knit this first version in 1 skein of Sanguine Gryphon's Little Traveller, in Pantanal. this is a light fingering weight yarn, and is just lovely to work with. It's a nice size shawl for a single skein of yarn (580 yards).





2 comments:

Troy said...

Sylvia,

I *love* this pattern. I started it day before yesterday, but I've run into a problem. I think there may be a missing symbol in the chart. On row 34 (& 50 & 66), there's a square symbol in the very center of the chart that doesn't seem to have a matching definition in the symbol key below. I suspect that it may be supposed to be a sk2p, since I don't see that little right triangle used elsewhere in the chart, but I'm not sure. Could you please check for me? My fingers are itching to continue on this :)

Thank you both for the design and your assistance!

Sligo said...

Troy, you are correct that the square represents a sk2p. Somewhere in tech editing one was changed but not the other. I noted this in my post, above, and thank you so much for pointing this out.